Education, at its best, happens through motivation, knowledge, skills and credibility. Education is a knowledge and skills base transferred to the next generation.
Juhani Risku has, during his architecture teacher’s role, developed several curricula and education sets for students. The courses have been executed at Tampere University of Technology, Aalto University, University of Lapland and Sara Hildén Academy. Structure and material based courses have been executed during educating home builders at hardware store Starckjohann Builder’s School (Stark).
Courses of architecture, acoustics and design (1986-2012) consist of:
- Architectural morphology (Bauhaus and Pietilä based architectural philosophy, based on Risku’s manuscript “Architectural Morphology“, 240 pages)
- Architectural form-giving 1 Mind & Hand (pencil & paper, mind-hand-form, 3D modelling with paper, carton, wood, scale or non-scale)
- Architectural form-giving 2 On Site (on site crafting: wood, stone, earthenware, joints, composites, hybrid, handicraft skillsets)
- Architectural form-giving 3 Home (functionality and use of spaces, home as a universum, life-cycle thinking)
- Architectural form-giving 4 Machinery (3D CAD-CAM, CNC & milling machinery)
- Architectural structures 1 (form-giving by gravitation, by inner tension & pressure, by tensile strength, breaking strengths)
- Architectural structures 2 (columns, beams, plates, shells, arches, catenaries, trusses, space trusses, thin structures)
- Architectural materials 1 Structure (wood, stone, brick, iron, steel, glass, composites, concrete)
- Architectural materials 2 Surface (interior, colour, acoustics, building physics, comfort)
- Architectonics (scale and non-scale models as prototypes and products)
- Architectural acoustics 1 Planning (music halls, studios, structures, noise control, multi-purpose or not, amplifying)
- Architectural acoustics 2 Details (material & structure relations, form-size-scale-proportion dependencies, multi-purpose requirements)
- Architectural acoustics 3 Calculations (3D modelling, reverberation, sound field, variations, fine-tuning)
- Experimental acoustics (soundscapes, theater & voice & sound)
- Stage design (drama text based, director driven, black box, blue sky)
- Costume design (human clothing, naked–dressed, culture, climate, functionality, fashion, catwalk, stage, spotlights, drama text, actor’s body, action, movement, manifestation)
- Architectural Criticism (based on Risku’s manuscript “Architectural Morphology” and a historical view to architectural philosophies and paradigm).
Special architecture and design based courses during 2001-2009 at Nokia Corporation (and at the University of Lapland 2010-2012) were:
- Graphic Design (from print to digital design)
- Information Visualisation (data visualisation, understandability, dynamic graphics, media, video)
- User Interface Design (Usability, UID, UXD)
- Brand management (corporate identity, products and services and brand base, differentiation, visuals)
- Web Guidelines (Nokia.com specific).